Thursday, November 18, 2010

Oh Korea

Korea has one of the best street foods - I'm totally being biased here, har har :) The street food stands in the city of Seoul provide food to help satisfy one's taste - from the sweet, nutty, crunchy and chewiness from hodduk to the spiciness, and the sauciness of dduk-bok-ki. Winter season has got to be the best time to be in Korea. When I visited Korea this past July, I definitely arrived with a mental must-eat list. Unfortunately, the street foods I've been wanting to get my hands on didn't make the cut since it was blaring hot and summer shoos away those winter street food staples.

These little pancakes are hodduk - filled with honey, brown sugar, cinnamon, and crunchy walnuts - then cooked until crispy and nicely browned on the side. (OHMMYGAHHHH!) If you click here, there are more information on these little bad boys. There is something about the food stands that is comforting - toughening out the cold weather with a hodduk in your hand under the stand tent. If you're ever planning on a trip overseas to Korea - plan on traveling in the fall/winter!

PS - I'll have a recipe for this soon, because I am in serious need of some comfort food!

Since I'm on the topic of Korea, where I was born, I'll share some pictures with you all from my visit! Some of the things were new to me and some refreshed my childhood memories :) [Sidenote: Some of these pictures were taken by my best friend, who I took with me on this trip, so props to her!]


Yes - this IS Korea :) Korean bakeries do their best to be fancy!
First sit down restaurant we went into - my friend was amazed at the number of shoes.

The traditional wedding ceremony room





The building even had bullet marks on the walls from the war
it was too hot. too humid.

train tracks that used to connect to the north
heart of Seoul!
market in Seoul that attracts many foreigners
near one of the temples we visited
market area with fresh produce from local farms!
instrumental exhibition
temple in Jejudo (see the lady at the bottom? she's spinning the prayer wheels)
Our hotel in Jejudo Island!
Ocean front :) GORGEOUS view.
Another incredible view, where a lot of movies were filmed.
 
cooling off in the humid weather.
So serene.

Hope I didn't overwhelm you with all of these non-food related pictures! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment